Mar 21 , 2019
Spring means warm weather, blooming flowers, and outdoor activities for most people. For those suffering from allergies, it means the return of familiar but unwelcome symptoms such as itchy eyes, runny nose, sinus congestion and coughing.
Acupuncture is very effective in treating allergy symptoms and will also help boost your immune system. Chinese herbs can be taken in parallel to keep symptoms from re-occurring. Unlike antihistamines and other OTC medications for allergies-there are no side effects to Chinese herbs and your Acupuncturist will select an herb for your particular symptoms/constitution.
Here are a few home remedies to help you get through the season:
- Acupressure-the image below details where you should apply pressure along your sinuses. In most cases-stimulating the points yourself isn’t a direct substitute for receiving acupuncture treatment however applying pressure on the points below can delay the onset of your symptoms and minimize the severity of them as well.
- Use a Saline rinse/Neti-pot to irrigate your nasal cavity and clean out any mucus/debris
- Eliminate mucus producing foods from your diet such as dairy and sugar
- Take a daily tablespoon of locally produced honey
- Stay hydrated-drink plenty of water throughout the day